Matte or Gloss Finish? Picking Your Perfect Tile
- February 17, 2021
- Posted by: Zoe
- Categories: Design, Informational
Tiles are a popular flooring choice for many people. They can be used anywhere, but are mostly popular in kitchens and bathrooms. With so many colors and styles to choose from, there is the additional choice of tile finish. You may already have an idea of what you like, but what are all the differences between a matte and gloss-finish?
Gloss tiles are finished with a coating of liquid glass, making them shiny and smooth to the touch. Matte tiles do not receive this treatment, so they lack that shine and feel.
Here is a breakdown of some pros and cons for these types of finishes.
- Reflective Surface – makes rooms appear larger and brighter
- Easy to Clean
- Modern Look
- Imperfections are easier to spot
- Slick when wet
- Low Maintenance – conceals stains and smudges
- Versatile Style
- Non-Reflective – better used in a larger room as it can make small spaces appear even smaller
- Can be difficult to remove stains
Now that you’ve seen some of the differences between the two, maybe your mind has changed or has been made up. Both floors are great for different reasons, but depending on your space or lifestyle, one may be more suitable than the other.
If you still can’t choose, no worries! You could pair a matte floor with a gloss wall, or you could even select a semi-matte finish. This finish gives you a shiny surface, which while not as reflective as pure gloss, is not as slippery.